Tuesday, September 27

Preschool?

Ok, I need some help...
My mother in law sent an email last winter asking if we had registered Eden for preschool...what? Send my sweet-little-tiny-baby girl to preschool? Because we had no idea what our work schedules would look like, or even where we would be living, we decided to wait on preschool until she was 3. Now that she really is 2 and (almost) a half and all the other kids are going to preschool, I'm seeing that she probably would love it. So, now we are looking for preschools for next year.
A few thoughts:
1. they are expensive!
2. sometimes, the hours are just crazy. 8:45-10:45...really? How do people get anything done with kids going to preschool?
3. There are a lot of options! One where you spend two hours playing with your kid, and you still have to pay an absurd amount of money. As fun as that sounds, we crossed that one off of the list...

So, we are down to a couple of options: the german immersion school and a preschool at a church in our neighborhood. We love the idea of a christian preschool, but I also love the idea of a little Eden running around speaking German. We are leaning towards the german immersion school because it is an option that we might not have in the future...if Luke gets a job at a smaller college, there likely won't be a german school (but we're pretty sure you can find a christian preschool in most towns). We also like the idea because we would love to live in Europe someday, and if Eden has some base of German, it would help her. Plus, it would be pretty cool to have a secret language with Eden that Luke can't understand! :)

Anyways, for those of you who have sent your sweet babies off to preschool...how old were they? How did they do? Where did you send them an why?

5 comments:

  1. Really loved this blog post! I don't have a preschooler so I can help you, but I loved reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - ahhh! The decisions! Jacob just turned 3 at the end of August, he started "Nursery School" (a.k.a. - preschool for 3 year olds) on the same day - just happened 1st day of school happened to be his bday.

    We chose his preschool simply because it's in the same building as his daycare. The nursery school teachers come pick up the kids from the 3's room. Nursery school is the same cost of putting him in daycare - very cheap in my opinion - and he's there anyway. Because I'm a (part-time) working mom, my afternoons are still free with him. Next year, when he's 4, he will be coming to my preschool at the Christian School - to which I'm so excited to have God at the center of his learning. Also, Preschool tuition at my school is cheaper than having him in daycare. There is a possibility we would wait to send him to Kindergarten, and he would come to me twice. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

    But overall - yeay preschool! So important for children to have interaction with children their age and learn how to take instruction from others. Whatever decision you make, it'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ich liebe deutsch!!! That is so cool...definitely don't have that option in our "small" town.:) My cousins send their kids to the spanish immersion school in the cities and love it...it is SO cool to see them communicate in 2 languages! So cool!! Owen goes to the Christian school, which I LOVE...I didn't send him at 3, just because life was crazy and instead committed to making sure he had interaction with kids other than a sibling at least once a week,(which was nice for me cuz I got interation with other moms at least once a week as well...love that time) and making sure during the other kiddos naps we would work on things to benefit his education and give us some needed one on one:) Like crafts, coloring, reading books, etc. He is for sure not behind and right with the rest of his class...so that is a relief:) I am sure whatever you decide will be best for little Eden!! Praise God for options! I really can't believe how fast the time goes!:) Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah! :)

    Yay for preschool! We LOVE preschool! Maida started at three and Skogen started at two and a half.

    Based on our experiences, I would especially recommend the christian-based preschools. Not only is the Bible a great base, I love that our kids get Bible some place other than home and at church. I also appreciate dealing with christian teachers and christian parents. It's been such a blessing to have the teachers praying with our kids and for our kids. We have seen Maida's knowledge of the Bible increase tremendously through preschool and both her and Skogen's spiritual life mature in ways I never knew a toddler's could. I couldn't say enough about our experiences at christan preschools.

    I'm very intrigued by the German preschool you are considering! What a great opportunity because, you are right, not every city is going to have a school like that to offer. Children, especially this young, are such sponges that Eden would probably soak up that German like crazy! Erik and I have always thought it would be cool if our children would speak two (or more) languages!

    I would really just encourage you to tour and research the schools and then make the decision based on Eden. What works for one child, might not work for another. I know for sure that the German school wouldn't be a good fit for Skogen because preschool has been so much of an adjustment time for him. I know that if he didn't understand the language that the demands were put on him in, he wouldn't function at his fullest and excel to his greatest potential. A lot of our friends are into the play-based learning preschools, however, we know that that method isn't the best for Maida because she needs the academic challenges and firm structure that other schools offer.

    We will be praying for you guys and this decision. It isn't an easy one, but I know for sure that you won't regret sending her to preschool. I'm excited to hear what you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of the input! I love hearing from you guys...you are all such great moms that it means a lot! Anyways, so much to think and pray about! And Kara, I didn't even think of the network that comes with a Christian based preschool. I guess we get to the fun part of taking tours and meeting teachers! Yikes...how did my baby get this old?

    ReplyDelete